I’m at the pub. Knotted wood tables and their ocherous tones, vaulted ceilings, solid oak benches, the smell of smoked hickory. The hum of conversing voices saturate the warm atmosphere. The TV announcer states the score of the football game. cackling and laughter erupt and subside into the natural hum of things. Books cover the table. A frothy half empty beer to my left.
I have the decision to think whatever I want. To generate any thought I choose. I am not a victim of my surroundings. I am free to choose my thoughts and decide my actions. My habits can be gleaned, new habits can be formed. I can refine myself into a perfect state if given enough time. What is perfect?
1. Conforming absolutely to the description or definition of an ideal type:
2. Excellent or complete beyond practical or theoretical improvement:
3. Exactly fitting the need in a certain situation or for a certain purpose:
4. entirely without any flaws, defects, or shortcomings:
5. accurate, exact, or correct in every detail: a perfect copy.
6. thorough; complete; utter:
7. pure or unmixed: perfect yellow.
8. unqualified; absolute: He has perfect control over his followers.
9. expert; accomplished; proficient.
10. unmitigated; out-and-out; of an extreme degree: He made a perfect fool of himself.
a. having all parts or members present.
a. noting an action or state brought to a close prior to some temporal point of reference, in contrast to imperfect or incomplete action.
b. designating a tense or other verb formation or construction with such meaning.
a. applied to the consonances of unison, octave, and fifth, as distinguished from those of the third and sixth, which are called imperfect.
b. applied to the intervals, harmonic or melodic, of an octave, fifth, and fourth in their normal form, as opposed to augmented and diminished.
14. Mathematics. (of a set) equal to its set of accumulation points.
15. Obsolete. assured or certain.
16. the perfect tense.
17. a verb form or construction in the perfect tense. Compare future perfect, pluperfect, present perfect.
–verb (used with object)
18. to bring to completion; finish.
19. to bring to perfection; make flawless or faultless.
20. to bring nearer to perfection; improve.
21. to make fully skilled.
22. Printing. to print the reverse of (a printed sheet).
Unfortunately I am only given so much time on this earth. I find it my responsibility to get there as best I can while I’m alive. Wasting no time. Keeping my goals in focus. Choosing them wisely.